Plan a trip :
NEWS: [See all News]
Sub-Lieutenant George "Jimmy" Green, 551 Flotilla, has died.
We have just learned that Jimmy Green has died. Sub-Lieutenant George Green carried the men of the A company, 116th Regiment, 29th Division onto Dog Green, Omaha Beach on landing craft in the very first minutes of the D-Day invasion on June 6, 1944. Read more...
[Posted: 2016-05-14 09:33:04]
Virginia Beach - Cary Lee Jarvis, 94, of Virginia Beach, died April 28, 2016
He was a staff sergeant when he landed D-Day, first wave, on Omaha beach, a member of the C-Battery of the 111th Artillery Battalion, 29th Division.  Read more...
[Posted: 2016-05-03 19:10:18]
   3 - 4 / 21 news   
WALL - IN MEMORY OF: [See all Messages]
Ingram, you have not been forgotten, thank you for your service and sacrifice.
Honored by Peter Warren
[Posted: 2019-06-06 23:09:23]
Ingram rests in a cemetery near where we live. We go there fairly often as we have a number of family members there. I found his grave a few years ago when I was looking at some of the graves that had flags on them for Memorial Day. I visited there today and brought a couple of roses and a poppy. I
Honored by Peter Warren
[Posted: 2019-06-06 23:05:51]
   3 - 4 / 113 messages   
Private Robert G. Lowry

29th Infantry Division
116th Infantry Regiment
1st Battalion
Company C

View folder

On D-day we were on a troopship by the name of Javelin. The night before D-day was very quiet, there was much praying, we were scared and wanted to get it over with quickly. General Eisenhower came in over the radio on the ship and wished us Godspeed.
At about 05:30 a.m. we went down rope ladders into LCVP’s, circled in the channel for about half an hour until the other LCVP’s were ready to head to shore. It was very rough and we slammed into the side of the ships as we went down the rope ladder. I don’t remember for sure who our platoon leader was but I think it might have been a 1st Lieutenant by the name of Dallas. Our Company commander was Captain Hawks. Neither one of them made it to shore.
The officers were in the front of the boat and when the coxswain let the ramp down in water that was about 30 feet deep, 5-6 men went into the water and I’m sure drowned because of the heavy filed packs, ammunition, etc, they were carrying. As soon as those in front saw what was happening they called out: "Raise the ramp" which was done but those who were trying to get out had their arms, feet, legs, hands and other parts of their bodies crushed in the ramp, which I think about 10 or 12 men.
There was one officer who made it to shore, a 2nd Lieutenant by the name of Swartz. He was what we called a 90 days wonder because they only had about 4 weeks of training before being shipped over to England to join our Division. He was killed that afternoon.
H-hour was at 06:30 when we landed on the beach at Omaha Dog Green, which we later referred to it as Omaha Bloody Red because of the blood shed from killed, dying and wounded men, mostly young boys like myself. We jumped into the water which was about level with my mouth and tried to make it to shore which was a real struggle. We were so exhausted from being seasick we just wanted to lie on the sand to recover. The beach where we landed was about 1000 yards to the north of where we were supposed to land. There were lots of tanks, bulldozers, trucks, jeeps and bodies in and out the water.

Posted: July 16, 2011
Copyright: Laurent Lefebvre

Robert G. Lowry - June 2009