Plan a trip :
NEWS: [See all News]
Trump to visit France for D-Day 75th anniversary
US President Donald Trump is to visit Normandy in June this year for the 75th anniversary commemorations of D-Day, he has said. Mr Trump made the announcement during a reception of World War II veterans in the Presidential Oval Office, at the White House, in Washington DC. [Connexion FranceRead more...
[Posted: 2019-04-30 09:01:00]
Bernard DARGOLS, 98, died April 28, 2019
We have just learned that Bernard DARGOLS has died. Bernard DARGOLS landed on Omaha Beach with 2nd Infantry Division. Read more...
[Posted: 2019-04-29 22:00:00]
   1 - 2 / 23 news   
WALL - IN MEMORY OF: [See all Messages]
Joseph, My wife and I came across your grave on my visit to Normandy. God bless you and thank you Joseph for your ultimate sacrifice in a battle with evil. When God awakes you from your sleep, Normandy will seem like just a bad dream.I look forward to that day for you and all the brave men who died
Honored by Jordan Kitover
[Posted: 2019-07-16 00:29:17]
I'm trying to get my dad (Carmen poliseno) a purple heart for his service in world war 2 after the fact. I believe he was on the same boat as William Gardner who was his commanding officer. my dad passed away in 2016 at the age of order to get him his purple heart I need to try and follow his
Honored by david poliseno
[Posted: 2019-06-19 18:10:47]
   1 - 2 / 129 messages   
29th Division, 116th Regiment, 2nd Bn., Headquarters Co.
Group Critique Notes
116-2 Hq Co landed at the right end of Dog Red Beach at exactly H plus 30. This was its proper area, but the boats which were supposed to have landed on this beach 30 minutes earlier had landed elsewhere. Consequently, Hq was the first group to move into this part of the beach. Looking forward from the boats, the men saw nothing untoward. They were no troops ahead of them. The sand was perfectly smooth. They heard few of the sounds of battle. The top of the height was covered by smoke but even this was not particularly alarming. Confidence grew, the nearer that they came to the beach.
The five boats came in at the same time as "H" and were directly on its right. The ramps were dropped. The men began to move out. Then bullet fire began to cut into them. Those who had already started forward in some cases tried to find refuge behind the tanks, and as with "H", found that they had simply made themselves targets for the arty. Perhaps 20 to 30 men so refuged; the tanks were standing out in about 2 feet of water, looking for targets on the hill, and were convenient to their purpose. Chaplain Reed, with 7 of the men, got behind one tank. Reed stood between the tank and the trailer. Suddenly the tank started away. Reed's leg was caught under the track of the trailer and badly injured. Before he could move, or the other men beak away from where they were standing, an arty shell burst over them. One large shard from it cut half S/Sgt Arthur Woods neck away and he feel flat on his face, killed instantly. Several of the other men were struck. Reed started crawling inshore, dragging the wounded leg. The tide was now racing in. He found that by crawling as fast as possible, he could just keep up with the tide.
Others were dropping as they came off the boats or tried to get across the sands. The Battalion S3, Captain Sherman Burroughs, fell dead from bullet fire as he left his boat. Captain Robert DeWitt, Bn Surgeon, fell with shrapnel wounds in his face and leg. The ranks were thinned mainly in the interval of passage from the boats to the sands. Major Sydney Bingham, Battalion Comm, lead the main body forward to the sea wall. (Bingham was already on the beach.) There the CP was set up, and there the main elements of Hq remained all day "pinned by fire". "Although automatic and arty fire harassed them at times, it was the ubiquity of sniper fire which was the chief cause of the immobilization of the personnel. (Five of the medics had been killed getting off the boats.) At about 0900, Captain Cawthon, comm Hq, was giving an order to two of his men to move against a sniper whom he had located in a bldg just off the beach when a piece of shrapnel went, through both cheeks. Because he was talking and had his mouth open, the fragment missed his jaw. The blood continued to drip down his face and over his shirt from the wound, but he remained with the Co and continued to lead it. The men moved forward with the rest of the Bn. late in the evening.